When you’re looking for ways to connect with your kids, plan some outdoor activities to do together! Pick one of these 50+ ways to connect with your kids OUTSIDE!!
You never play outside with us!
The complaint has been voiced more than once this month, and though they’re not entirely right, their grumbling contains a bit of truth.
When my kids were young, I had to be outside when they were. But as they’ve grown older and know their boundaries, I play outside far less often.
Instead, I’ll use their outdoor play time (aka — time when my kids are occupied, content, and happy!!) to cook dinner or finish the dishes or go through the mail or do some other household task. Our large kitchen windows allow me to keep an eye and an ear on them while they play together, and since they’re (usually) perfectly content, it seems like a win-win.
While it may be fine for me to use that time to do some chores, I’ve found myself prioritizing our families external needs above the internal ones, and I’m tempted to place projects over people.
I don’t want to be so focused on my responsibilities that I miss the relationships right in front of me.
So this week, I will take time to play … and not just play the where it’s convenient. I’ll bear the heat or brave the bugs or expend the energy or wear my swimsuit, and play outside with my kids.
Want to commit with me to playing outside with your kids this week? To get us started, pick one (or a few) of these outdoor activities to connect with your kids!
Ideas for Connecting with your Kids Outside!
- Blow bubbles.
- Kick the soccer ball.
- Play a game of HORSE.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Play tag.
- Jump rope.
- Run races.
- Wash the car (or your bikes)
- Jump on the trampoline together.
- Go on a nature walk.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk.
- Run through the sprinkler.
- Garden or pull weeds.
- Take the dog for a walk.
- Rake leaves — for yourself or a neighbor!
- Fly kites.
- Watch the clouds move.
- Pick flowers.
- Go for a walk — in a different neighborhood!
- Visit a new park.
- Set up the tent or a fort.
- Read under a tree.
- Play in the rain.
- Have a picnic.
- Build sand castles in the sandbox.
- Play hopscotch.
- Throw water balloons.
- Roll down a hill or do cartwheels.
- Go fishing.
- Roast marshmallows or make s’mores.
- Paint rocks with watercolors or these paints.
- Pick fruit (cherries, apples, strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
- Take a ride in a paddle boat or canoe or row boat.
- Make an obstacle course.
- Paint the sidewalk (or house) with water.
- Go on a scavenger hunt.
- Play with water guns.
- Play lawn games.
- Set up a lemonade stand.
- Play frisbee.
- Learn to geocache.
- Watch the sunrise (or sunset).
- Launch rockets with your feet.
- Visit to the zoo.
- Light up sparklers at night.
- Throw in the bulldozers and sand toys and play in the dirt!
- Play with the hose.
- Do tie-dye.
- Climb a tree.
- Explore a new nature preserve or park.
- Gaze at the stars.
- Practice letters, make words, or play Scrabble in the lawn with these.
- Go on a Scavenger hunt or make a treasure map.
- Catch (and release) frogs — or lightning bugs!
- Paint the sidewalk with homemade rainbow glitter paint.
- Try a paddle board.
Of course we’ve just scratched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to activities you and your kids can enjoy outside. What’s your favorite way to play outside with your kids?