- “Children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward” (Psalm 127:3 NASB).
- “Grandchildren are the crown of the aged…” (Proverbs 17:6 ESV).
- “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” (Psalm 139:13-16 NIV84).
- “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it” (Proverbs 22:6 NIV84).
- “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4 NLT).
- “Fathers, don’t exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master” (Ephesians 6:4 MSG).
Father, what a gift these children are! You, Lord, knit each one together in the womb. You saw their unformed bodies and carefully, perfectly wove each together.
I praise you, Lord, for my children are fearfully and wonderfully made! Your works are wonderful! I know that full well. Thank you that each day of my children’s lives are already written by you. You, Father, are in control and nothing that has happened to them or will happen to them catches you off guard. You, Lord, have a plan for them.
You have entrusted to us these children and the staggering responsibility of training them in the way that they should go and bringing them up in the discipline and instruction of you. Sometimes I feel so inadequate, Father!
Grant me the wisdom and the grace to take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master.
** adapted from Pray Truth: Praying God’s Word for the Hearts of Our Kids