Confession and repentance are essential to the Christian faith.
Not only do we repent of our sins to be saved, but we must continue to confess our sins daily and walk in the Spirit!
But how do we teach our kids about repentance?
Are we teaching our kids how to confess their sins?
Are we leading them through the process of confession and helping them restore their relationship to God through Jesus?
I admit that for a long time I was so focused with my kids on curing the grumps that our prayers focused on giving thanks.
But even in cultivating gratitude in our kids, how important it is to teach them to confess when they have a complaining spirit, compare against others, or become jealous!
So if you’re looking for some great ideas on how to teach your kids about confession and repentance, check out the links below.
Phrases that help explain SIN to our children
–> Sally Lloyd Jones, author of The Jesus Storybook Bible shared on a radio interview how we can explain sin to children ::
It’s like running away and hiding and thinking you can be happy without God, but God knows there is no such thing.
[Sin is] a poison that makes your heart sick, so it won’t work properly anymore.
–> The Awana Cubbies explains sin to preschoolers by saying ::
Sin is anything you think, say, or do that disobeys God.
–> The Gospel Project Curriculum defines sin as the wrong choice to do what God says not to do OR to not do what God says to do. Loving God means trusting that His words and His ways are best. Not obeyingGod is not loving God as we should.
Ideas for teaching our kids to Confess
- Object lesson to teach kids about sin and our response to it
- We must confess :: A hands on activity to teach kids about the importance of confession — THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE IDEAS.
Ideas for teaching our kids to Repent
- Practice Repentance (a science object lesson) from Kids of Integrity
- Teaching kids repentance (VIDEO – 3 min.) with a simple but helpful object lesson
- My friend Julie over at the Happy Home Fairy shares the 5 steps of repentance for kids (with verses and hand motions to help our kids remember!)
- The repent game
Do you make confession a regular part of prayer in your family?
How do you teach your kids about confessing sin?